We are nearly half way through the year, how are your 2018 business goals shaping up? If you are having trouble making time for and/or achieving your 2018 priorities, check out these three tips for boosting your progress.
Josh Maness + Derek Motsinger,
owners of Full Circle Fitness Coaching IN SAN DIEGO,
have taken on the challenge of ADJUSTING THEIR BRAND AND MARKETING IN ORDER TO BROADEN THEiR REVENUE STREAMS AND POSSIBLY expand their facility.
"Over a decade ago, Derek and I set out to start our own business and escape the big box corporate mentality we were operating in at the time. As young guys in our 20's with little business experience we set out on our own and partnered to create Full Circle Fitness Coaching. We valued knowledge and service to our clients and strived to create a working environment that allowed us to foster a closer relationship with our clients. Our primary goal at that time was simple...help people and fill our schedules.
That was 2008 and as many people know that was the year the economy took a big hit! We were both single without families at the time so were able to survive and really had fewer responsibilities than we do now as working fathers. It took us several years to fill our schedules but we did and as the years passed we both started new chapters of our lives...families. Once we were chasing babies and feeding more mouths we had little time for anything else and it was more imperative that we kept our schedules full and maximize our earning potential. We had every intention of working to expand our business from the beginning years but as time passed we in many ways found it more difficult.
We had been able to create our own individual success but had hit a ceiling of hours we were able or wanted to work and our income was solely based upon our individual availability.
When I turned 40 this last year I had that realization that if change didn't occur very soon it would likely never occur. It was at that time that I decided we should take action on being mentored by someone we trusted and admired. Derek and I had taken several educational courses at DIAKADI over the years and from day one were in awe of what they had grown and the welcoming environment. We often spoke about engaging Billy Polson to coach us on how we may develop our path moving forward. I knew as soon as I contacted Billy it was the right decision and his experience and guidance would be key in helping us create the change we desired.
From the perspective of communication I feel we are working together as a team more so than we ever had in the past. As a partnership it is imperative to be able to communicate clearly and in some cases requires an outside perspective.
Billy's Business Movement coaching program
we have made some significant changes.
Expanded/Maximized our useable gym space
Created a marketing plan and began utilizing a Marketing/Design company
Rebranded and reworked our website along with our social media platform
Utilized questionnaires to gauge our clients wants/needs in both our current operation/location and future operation/location
Recruited and brought on another trainer that fits the ideal scenario for our existing space = Our first source of passive income
These are just a few of the many benefits and successes we have enjoyed in a short period utilizing the tools provided. We likely have an ART/Chiropractor coming in sometime around October 1 to rent our therapy room 10-20 hours weekly. Currently our goal is to maximize our earning potential in our space so we can expand into a lager space with more health professions and in turn help more people!
We feel this is just the beginning for us and plan on continuing to take the coaching tools provided and keep revisiting them to implement more operational systems necessary to expand."
Looking to EVOLVE your practice and reach your highest POTENTIAL?
Schedule a complimentary phone consult with Billy Polson in order to see if The Business Movement's Coaching and Coursework is right for you.
using canned responses to save you time.
Creating templates for all emails that you are repeatedly sending to your clients (i.e. A confirmation email for your first session or a sessions invoice) can be a tremendous time saver. Gmail CANNED RESPONSES are the ideal tool for storing these templates and easily reloading them when necessary. take a few minutes now & save you tons of time later on by following these simple steps.
1. WHERE TO START.
- Open your gmail account
- Find the gear icon in the upper right hand corner
- Click the gear to open a drop down menu
- Click 'Settings'
- Find & click on the 'LABS' button
- Under the 'Canned Responses' section, click ENABLE
- Scroll Down & Save Changes!
2. what's next?
- Compose that repetitive email that you'd like to have saved for quick use in the future, including the subject, body content, and signature.
- Once the email is completed, click on the down arrow in the bottom right corner
- Hover over 'CANNED RESPONSES'
- There will be a gray'ed out Insert, Save, Delete
- Under Save, click on 'New Canned Response'
- Give this saved email a name that will help you know what it is for quick access when sending later
- Click OK
The next time you receive an email that warrants one of your saved responses:
- Click REPLY
- Instead of typing anything, go straight to that down arrow in the bottom right corner, hover over 'CANNED RESPONSES'
- Under the gray-ed out Insert header, click which previously written email you'd like inserted
- The response will appear in your email as you had typed it!
- Of course you can edit the email for specific individual(s), adding in the appropriate greeting, farewell, and any personalized touch you can which will not effect the original canned response
Selling single sessions and packages of sessions to your clients is quickly becoming a thing of the past. many trainers are transferring their business into monthly payment plans, multi-month packages or subscriptions for personal training and performance coaching. This is proving to improve commitment, attendance and results for clients, as well as consistent monthly income for trainers, so this migration is definitely something worth looking in to.
Below, four of the Bay Area's most experienced trainers have put their version of these new plans into practice and shared their knowledge with us.
- This monthly payment plan works by turning individual sessions into a one time monthly payment based on hourly rate and weekly training frequency.
- *Monthly rate = Average # of sessions per month x Current hourly rate
- Clients receive recurring email invoices via Square on the first of each month.
- Payments are due within the first 7 days of each month (There is a late fee of $50).
- 1 Rollover session each month
- Clients have to USE OR LOSE their sessions UNLESS they can reschedule within the same month.
- They are allowed ONE carry over session valid until the end of the following month.
- If we are unable to reschedule within that next month, due to illness, vacation, or work travel, clients will have credit for the value of your session (their current hourly rate).
Single Session Policy:
- If clients want to schedule additional one-off training sessions in the month, Dustin will honor their current hourly rate for single sessions.
- Cancellations must be made 30 days prior to the next monthly bill
- No refunds less than 30 days before the next month unless special circumstances occur such as job loss or family emergency, for example, are considered exceptions, and will be handled in a discretionary manner.
"If the client is not consistent with their sessions (i.e. if they travel a lot) then the membership will not work for them. However, it weeds out inconsistent clients for the trainer. Non-membership clients then select my single session hourly rate and just schedule as they have time. The downside for them is they do not get to reserve a recurring day/time and new or existing memberships get priority so non-membership clients need to be flexible with scheduling and availability."
"This method has encouraged consistent attendance, increased accountability, simple and convenient payments. Health and fitness is not a short-term process. It’s a commitment and needs to be a part of our whole life!"
- DUSTIN EASTMENT
PACKAGED WITH EXPIRATION DATES PAYMENT PLAN
- 4 sessions, 8 sessions, or 12 sessions are offered at a time, with expiration dates.
- ALL SESSIONS ARE THE SAME PRICE regardless of how many they purchase.
- Clients must cancel/reschedule at least 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE or Natalie charges for the session.
- If Natalie is able to do a make up session with them that same week, that is acceptable.
- Clients have expiration dates to abide by depending on their chosen package
- 4 sessions: 5 weeks to use
- 8 sessions: 10 weeks to use
- 12 sessions: 15 weeks to use
- This also gives them 1-3 weeks of a grace period in case they are traveling, sick, unable to make one week.
"One of my clients has to travel a lot and it just means we have to plan our sessions farther in advance so that they are all scheduled. A very reliable client of mine travelled for the holidays who I made a special exception for since she spoke to me about it in advance. I'm willing to make infrequent exceptions for clients that I know are legitimately working hard."
"This method means that my clients have to come in on a regular basis or their sessions expire. I tell them that this is because it's hard to make progress with inconsistent training (true), but it is also so that I am guaranteed a consistent income."
- 1x/Week is 4 sessions/month = $490
- 1.5x/Week is 6 sessions/month = $685
- 2x/Week is 8 sessions/month = $880
- Single sessions are $125, so when you pay ahead of time, clients receive a discount
- Remote Training / Program Design
- Training packages are adjusted so that clients pay their package price
- Clients are granted one (1) rollover for each package
- Rollovers expire the month following their purchase
- This works like a cell phone plan
- Clients don't end up paying for a session that they already paid for the month before (hence a 1-month expiration is a good limit to set)
- If you or your client cancels, there is no cost to them. They just don't pay for that one next month.
- Week-long vacations are easy to take because you simply keep everyone's schedule in place and charge them 25% less that month. Same for 2 weeks (50% off). If they need to travel, you simply charge them for the rate below (e.g. if they were at 2x, drop them down to 1.5x), this basically cancels out a week and you still get paid and the sessions aren't dragged out over a long period of time.
"Each client pays for a MINIMUM number of sessions per month. Depending on the day(s) their sessions land on, they sometimes end up with a bonus session. Huge plus for clients...sounds bad for the trainer, but in the long run, you are getting money from each client every month."
"STEADY INCOME. This plan allows for a bit of flexibility (client retention) and doesn't let you feel cancellations very much as MOST of your clients are probably coming in for all of their sessions. Regardless you are getting a minimum of 75% - 100% of your income from EVERY client EVERY month. Additionally, it gives you a little flexibility in terms of scheduling mishaps, vacations that land on a clients' session etc."
- AUSTIN LOPEZ
- This is a flat monthly discounted fee billing structure
- Clients paying monthly flat rate are also receiving a so called "concierge service" which involves anytime access to their trainer for nutrition help, tips for away workouts, and any and all questions or advice
- Typically 30 days beforehand
- This structure, unlike some others, DOES NOT ALLOW FOR MAKE-UPS or missed appointments.
- The fees will be the SAME FLAT MONTHLY FEE regardless of cancellations or special circumstances.
- If the trainer has to cancel due to traveling or illness, they have the option to take advantage of a sub program
- Establish a substitute trainer agreement to cover your clients workouts in a way where both parties get paid and the client gets their intended workout in
- A sub program also benefits in that trainers are learning new styles from one another, adjusting to a new client, and creating a more unified and stable gym overall
- Clients are able to reschedule within the same month or add one the next month at the same monthly fee both months
- When possible we can reschedule sessions that you miss within that given month (no rollover) with 24 hours notice to cancel/reschedule (less than 24 hours cancellation will be count as one session)
"Trainers may have a difficult time presenting a more 'strict' payment plan to clients as it may come off unfair. Some advice I would give is to present it with math: There are about 4.33 weeks in a month and if clients are really consistent (which benefits them), it comes out to about 4 free weeks of training throughout the year. Clients who can't commit monthly (traveling, a busy mom with kids, etc.) are paying a premium for individual sessions and they aren't guaranteed prime schedule time slots. On the other hand, those clients who notoriously miss sessions because of work travel, vacation, or illness, have a slightly reduced rate for the month compared to the price for 100% attendance."
"Having the same automated flat monthly fee implemented every month is particularly helpful to a trainer as it is an efficient billing system and provides piece of mind and stability. The system requires little to no maintenance and I can usually project income for the year quite accurately at the start of the year.
It also creates stability for your clients, as they know how much they'll pay each month and be able to budget for training. This method keeps clients accountable and motivates them to come in and use their already paid for sessions. When they commit financially each month, they are more likely to reschedule within the month instead of cancelling. I've found that cancellation rates went from 20% all the way down to 5%."