Getting your website seen TODAY through better search engine optimization!
Before revealing our must-do's for improving site visibility, here's how search engines work.
Web crawlers, aka spiders, aka search robots, are a programmed script that browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner. The crawlers comb through websites, reading their pages and website content in order to create a list of entries for a search engine index based on every search query. The spider then returns home after traveling through pages, transfers the index data to the search engine, and then those engines (i.e. Google and Yahoo) update their own indexes. The search engine determines a website's relevancy based on an intricate scoring system, which they try to keep secret.
But fear not. Here are some SEO tips and tricks to increase your relevancy, improve your website traffic, and get your site seen by the right visitors.
Search Engine Rankings have two basic fundamentals:
Relevance & Authority.
Relevance: Search engines analyze searches and bring up the most relevant and appropriate information to help you find what you are looking for. Therefore your content, the way you present your content, and how other places link to you are what will increase your relevancy and improve your ranking. Think about what keywords people may be using in their searches when they are trying to find you and use that to your advantage.
Authority: This is the measure of credibility. Anyone can post anything on the World Wide Web so you need to ensure your website is a trusted place. Search engines evaluate what other sites think of you. They look at reference pages, which are sites who are sending visitors to your site. CREDIBLE sites, such as non-profits and government sites, linking to you provide a trusted vote, which Google sees.
THE GOAL: become relevant and achieve authority
SEO TIP #1: KEYWORDS
Keywords are KEY. Keeping your product offerings and the unique aspects of your business in mind, create your website content using words which well represent your typical new customer searches. Be as comprehensive as possible so that potential customers can easily find your site.
BUILD a keyword research plan!
Google Keyword Planner is a free suggestion tool that presents keyword ideas to help build your campaigns.
Google Trends shows you how words have been searched, events that caused this, singular vs plural searches, state by state interest, and gives you more keyword ideas.
- Bing Webmaster is a non-Google tool that summarizes your site's performance, emphasizes what needs improvements, and helps you understand what leads people to your site to help you increase traffic.
When building your site content, strategically use keywords on your pages by placing the most important words prominently near the top of pages. Use eye catching titles, concise & relevant URL's, descriptive page headers, and important keywords within the body paragraphs.
If you're using images on your website pages, make sure to initially save the images using a descriptive name. For example, an image of a trainer showing a client the proper form for a deadlift, the file name shouldn’t be random (i.e. DSC4536.jpg). Instead, try naming the file after the trainer's name and the exercise being performed (i.e. Personal Trainer John Doe Deadlift Form.jpg). Use keywords and descriptor words in photo names so that search engine crawlers know the subject of the picture in order to index those words for their rankings.
SEO TIP #2: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY
Important, educational, relevant information rather than too many pages of random facts will tremendously improve your site's content. The easy to read and easy to find content is what will spark interest in visitors, portray credibility, and attract other sites to link to you. In addition to keywords and the organization of your information, quality photos will also improve the value of your content.
- Brainstorm common questions customers might search and include answers to those questions on your pages.
- Provide usable and relevant data to your targeted customers.
- Organize your menu pages in a way that is easily navigated.
- Shoot quality, high resolution photos for your site! Don't sell yourself short.
- Display genuine rather than stock images.
SEO TIP #3: ALTERNATIVE TEXT
"Alt text" is the name for a text image that will show up to the user if a photo does load not due to a poor connection or slower loading pages. Google evaluates alt text to determine what is in the photo and to connect the image to the topic on that page.
How To add alternative text:
- Add an image block to your page.
- Upload the quality image.
- Find the optional description or alternative text box during upload. This is usually located under the image after upload or in your website template's image settings.
- Add in alt text with strategic keywords: Where, who, and what is in the photo
- Don't forget CAPTIONS: Beneath or around the image, create applicable information for the user and for spiders and crawlers to index as they weave through the page
For example: Having a photo of your facility or even a graphic image of the words 'Best Gym' would not be recognized as text by the crawlers, therefore it unlikely to be found when the words 'best gym' are in the search engine. Creating a caption or alternative text to have the actual words 'best gym' that can be found on the page in addition to the photo, will greatly help that page appear in the Google search findings.
SEO TIP #4: BUILDING LINKS
Valuable LINKS within your content will greatly increase your chances of receiving an excellent position in search engine results. Make sure these links are categorized by placing the most valuable ones in easily accessible spots on your page.
- Internal linking allows cross referencing within your site to help understand structure, topics, and themes of content and relative importance.
- Create relevant content links to main menu pages
- Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) pages give us the opportunity to use a large volume of keywords as well as the ability to create links to other pages both on and off your website
- External linking will get your site noticed from outside sources.
- Leverage your business partner connections by linking to partner websites.
- Provide interesting information and link to other sites for deeper information. Make it easy for viewers to fully understand and research content in order to create even more views and connections.
Be wary of gimmicks! Sites who will trade links or sell you links, promising a post from them, are scams and could drastically diminish your SEO success.
SEO TIP #5: KEEP IT UP
Measure your SEO progress and keep progressing!
- Use web analytics tools to monitor your website. Google Analytics will show you what keywords customers are using to find your site, how they navigate through your pages, and the leading sources for new users finding your site. Have a sound content management team to monitor traffic and make updates/improvements to your site based on their findings.
- Make sure your site is mobile friendly. With almost constant access to a cell phone or iPad, this is frequently how customers will view your site.
- Take a look at your site on your mobile device, ensuring your data is scan-able, easily navigable, sorted, and has tap-able photos, as this all will impact the success of your site in regards to SEO as well as customer experience.
Because search engines have a specific and secret algorithm, specific keywords appear as unavailable. This means that you won't be able to view what exact keywords you should save or get rid of in order to improve search rankings. However, you can review your keyword performance by looking at your landing pages under the side bar called "site content" and infer what keywords that visitors are seeing as they move from page to page.
Remember, optimizing your site's success in search engines takes TIME.
Be careful of and stay away from fast "get your site seen" scams. Instead, take the time to execute these SEO strategies:
Research your keywords
Create new, unique, and quality content
Build YOUR authority through links
Continue to analyzing result and make changes.
This is an ongoing process, so be patient and stay true to your tactics. It'll be worth it!